Thursday 11 August 2011

Coloured Belts

I was reading the other day a website dedicated to selling martial arts belts as well as other sports gear.
On that website there was a product where you can proudly display all your belts in a plastic, see-through display with pockets to place your treasured belts in order.
At first I thought: "My God - people would actually put their belts on display! How sad is that!"


I mean, would you? Could you put your belts in display for others to admire? Personally I used to give mine away to those coming up the ranks behind me to save them a couple of bob. At the same time those above me would do the same thing...well until they got their black belts...
But then I'm getting old (err!). I forget that when you are a child you like collecting things and showing what you can achieve. Especially boys...they like to put things in orders, collect things and admire those collections.
I know I did and so to do my two sons.
And why shouldn't a youngster be rightly proud that they've stuck to something, persevered and learned the self-discipline we all talk about?
We forget as we grew older and more jaded through life's experiences what it really means to achieve something in our lives for the first time. 
It’s all relative - when you're a child gaining a belt in martial arts is as a big deal to them as winning a new promotion at work is to us, for example.
And if it encourages youngsters to keep taking those grades...because at the moment boys especially are under a lot of pressure in society. 
Schools are so female orientated, especially primary schools; that boys are now lagging behind in education. They are vilified through the media, viewed with suspicion on the streets and generally treated as if they are a problem.
But the youngsters of today are not the enemy as they are our tomorrow. As a society we all need to let the youngsters of today know they are capable of success and that they are valued.
This is something martial arts are very good at. It builds kids' confidence, self-worth and gives them a clear structured goals in the form of grades which they can attain through hard work while teaching them the virtues of perseverance and self-discipline
So go and display your belts my little young friends - you've worked for them and deserve them...



For further information on DFM visit: www.dfmmartialarts.co.uk or e-mail Phil Doherty at phil.doherty@martialnews.co.uk

No comments: